Applicants may submit their application before completion of the dietetic practicum. Hard copies of documentation (university transcript and verification of practicum completion) must be sent to NSDA directly from the university/practicum program. A complete application for temporary membership must be received by November 24 in order to write the November sitting of the Canadian Dietetic Registration Examination (CDRE).
A temporary member has met all registration requirements (with the exception of the examination). They will write the Canadian Dietetic Registration Examination (CDRE) at the next available sitting. Once registered as a temporary member, you will receive information from NSDA about how to schedule an appointment to write the CDRE. CLICK HERE for information about the CDRE.
A temporary member can work as a dietitian; but may not use the titles/designation protected by the Professional Dietitians Act. Temporary members may use the designation professional dietitian (candidate) or PDt (c).
FEE SCHEDULE FOR TEMPORARY MEMBERShip
CANDIDATES WRITING THE MAY 2017 EXAM
- Total $265 = $85 application fee + $180 temporary membership fee (effective until March 31, 2018)
CANDIDATES WRITING THE NOVEMBER 2017 EXAM
- Total $195 = $85 application fee + $110 temporary membership fee (effective until March 31, 2018)
NSDA Bylaws (2007):
Temporary Membership (section 2(c))
- A temporary membership is valid until one of the following conditions ensues:
- the temporary member becomes a licensed member or
- the temporary member fails the exam.
- A candidate who has failed the exam may request an extension of temporary membership. The candidate must be able to support the request for an extension to the Registration Committee. The Registration Committee may grant one extension to a Temporary Member for a period of up to one year from the date the temporary membership originally took effect.
- A candidate shall have three opportunities in four years to challenge the qualifying exam. If the first two attempts result in failures, proof of upgrading will be required to become eligible to challenge the exam for the third and final time.